Vegan Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy
Growing up, we had Sunday lunch at my maw and paw’s house. My grandma made the best mashed potatoes! My favorite thing to do was eat a full serving, nap on her big comfy couch, and then wake up and fix myself another bowl of her potatoes with whatever meat and gravy she made that day. Of course you can never replicate Maw Maw’s cooking even if she’s standing over your shoulder directing your every move! Maw had butter and evaporated milk in hers, but this vegan modification surely hits the spot and brings back sweet childhood memories! We are being quarantined for the horrific coronavirus, so I’m not able to visit with my maw, and Heaven is too far away for me to visit my paw. But, while I was reminiscing and missing those Sunday dinners, I decided to whip up this easy recipe. My heart, soul, and tummy are satisfied.
Mushroom Gravy Ingredients:
- Two yellow onions
- Pack of portabello cap mushrooms- whole
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- Sprinkle of ground sage
- Sprinkle of ground thyme
Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 + 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- S&P to taste
Mushroom Gravy Instructions:
- Slice onions into thick pieces and begin browning in a skillet adding splash of water(in place of oil) as needed. Stir often.
- Rinse mushrooms and dice. I did large pieces to be more “meaty”.
- After the onions are nice and caramelized, add mushrooms and garlic and sauté for about 7 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add broth, soy sauce, sage and thyme. Mix together and pour into skillet with your mushrooms. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- In a small mixing bowl/cup, mix together arrowroot powder/cornstarch with 3 tbsp water.
- Pour the dissolved arrowroot powder/cornstarch into your same skillet. Stir well.
- Let simmer and thicken for another 5 minutes.
- Your gravy will be pretty thick, add water to make it your desire consistency.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Peel, rinse, and slice your potatoes and boil them with a dash of salt.
- After potatoes are tender, drain the water.
- Mash your potatoes and add almond milk, onion powder, and s&p to taste. Mix and mash until creamy.
I served with a side of green beans and it was perfection!