Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
For every holiday gathering, I bring my signature dish- sweet potato casserole. Since we have vegans in the family, I always made one dish original and one dish vegan. I always kept the two dishes separated and told everyone at the gathering which was dairy free and which wasn’t. Only the vegans ate the vegan dish, and the non-vegans ate the original dish. Well, at the last gathering, there was only one vegan (my mama), so I only told her which was vegan since it only truly mattered to her. Before I knew it, everyone had served themselves the vegan casserole and they were all RAVING over how delish it was! Then they tried the original and could not taste a difference! From now on I will be making ONE vegan dish and save myself the hassle of preparing two separate casseroles.
I always used vegan butter for the topping, but my mom requested I find a substitute and perfect a recipe without the extra oil and fat. That’s when I tried unsweetened applesauce (if you haven’t already, you will soon discover this is a favorite ingredient of mine!) in place of the butter. While it was baking, the sweet aroma flooded the kitchen. I didn’t tell my husband that I was changing up the recipe, only that I was baking a sweet potato casserole. I try to be sneaky with him because he turns his nose up to a lot! ;) He asked, literally, 5 times if it was ready to eat. He dug in and devoured his serving in no time, and went back for thirds! I then decided to tell him what was different and he said it was just as good as every other time I had made it! Prior to now, I made the casseroles with regular all purpose flour, but I’m loving oat flour these days, and it’s MUCH healthier for you. Not to mention oat flour is gluten free!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 organic cane sugar
- 1 cup original unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar or organic light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oat flour**
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter (I use earth’s balance- preferably stick) or 1/4 cup applesauce for oil free version.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Wash sweet potatoes and pierce with a fork. Bake them for 30-40 minutes until tender.
- Raise temperature to 400.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh into a large mixing bowl and mash.
- Add cane sugar, almond milk, applesauce, vanilla, and salt to the mashed sweet potatoes. Mix ingredients together until smooth. Some clumps are ok.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut sugar, oat flour, and vegan butter together (or applesauce if you’re oil free). Your mixture should be crumble-like, resembling wet sand. If using cold vegan butter, you can use a knife to chop the mixture to achieve this texture. Fold in pecans.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into 9x11 baking dish and top with your pecan mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the casserole cool for a few minutes to let crust settle before serving.
**to make oat flour, add oats to a high power food processor/blender. Blend until the oats are powder, like flour.
Nutrition facts are made with vegan butter, not applesauce. Please note that nutrition information will vary depending on brand of ingredients.